Hartees and KFC in the early 1970s

Hartees and KFC in the early 1970s
Hartees and KFC int the early 1970s

Monday 20 September 2021

A bouquet of Valiants

Following on from my previous Chrysler Valiant blog posts 1 2, one of my aims in getting the Valiant VH model made in 3D is to add car loads to the Auscision BKX car carriers in order to correctly period date my load.  Below is the finished load, however, after loading a couple of the cars on the carriers, I discovered that I will need more model cars to fill the load. 


Above: My inspiration for the load was this photo I found on the internet.

Completing the Load

I ordered another four more of the Shapeway Valiants and decided I needed to make a couple of more versions. Besides the basic Valiant Ranger, I decided to add a couple of more modifications and paint schemes to my Valiants. I did this by comparing the various models to give the load some variety by colour and specifications. 

Above: A Bouquet of Valiants

Detailing the variants
Chrysler by Chrysler
The luxury version of the VH Chrysler Valiant is the CH Chrysler by Chrysler 4 door sedan. 
Without extending the wheelbase or length of model, I used filler to modify the front and rear end of my 3D print in order to represent it. This included changing the look of the grill with dual round headlights and a different rear end look. 
The texture of masking tape on the roof was used to represent a vinyl roof option that was popular in the 1970s. I also punch holes in styrene to represent the hubcaps which were overlaid on top of the Busch sports wheels to give it the executive look. 
I used a Molotow Liquid pen to highlight the chrome on bumpers, headlights and window surrounds. 

Above: Two version of the Chrysler by Chrysler - One in Plum Crazy the other in Gold.

Sports version
Apart from the Chrysler Valiant 2 door Charger, there was also a 4 door sports version for those who wanted a family car with speed and power. The VH Valiant Pacer had mag wheels and a black decal. The colour I used was plain acrylic orange and then overlaid with Humbrol fluorescent Fire orange #209 to give it the gloss look. The hardest bit was the side stripping decals on the side, rear and bonnet. This was achieved using masking tape. to hide the places I didn't need to paint. 
Suitable aftermarket wheels were found to represent the factory fitted mag wheels. 
Photos obtained to make this model were contributed from members of the Facebook Valiant VH-CM appreciation Group.

Above: Completed VH Pacer 4 door sedan

No comments:

Post a Comment